Recently I was able to land an internship at a local company. I had a couple of internships interviews and some went well and others did not. They were a great learning experience for me. Now I shall share with you what I did wrong.
During my first interview I did not get the internship possibly from not asking enough questions about the Job and what it entails. Then I did not have a printed portfolio to bring. Also the attire I wore my work outfit which probably should’ve been avoided altogether.
The second interview I had I was able to land the internship. Thankfully they were understanding of my faults while interviewing.
So here’s what to avoid doing
- Dress to what you feel the culture would be like
- Do not have any kind of cuss words on your wallpaper screen on your laptop
- Errors on your resume, cover letter show a lack of attention to detail.
- Thinking you know what to expect
- Do not chew gum
and here’s what to do
- If you do not have a printed portfolio, have a portfolio site
- Have business cards ready ( you should always keep at least 5 on you)
- After you’ve emailed them your resume pick up the phone and call them
- Dress comfortably and respectfully
- Look your interviewer/s in the eye
- After you have gotten interviewed send everyone who interviewed you a thank you email
- Before even entering the building for the interview make sure your in a positive mood and believe you can get the job and do the job.
- Show up at least 10 minutes before the scheduled time
- Demonstrate an eagerness to learn
- Make sure to shower before going ( If you plan on wearing a fragrance of any kind make sure its light and to not drown yourself in the scent.) Also do not spray fragrances on your clothes.
I hope these will allow you to be able to land your internship or Job that you’ve been searching for.